In honor of Mother's Day, we have asked one of our favorite Amarillo moms, Amy-Beth Morrison, to share her top 10 ideas for family fun in the Amarillo area and beyond:
1. Find Your Own Park - There are GREAT parks in Amarillo and due to our limited backyard space, we like to get out and enjoy them as a family. We've tried them all and love the smaller ones like Wolflin Elementary because it is a great size for our young boys.
2. Sunday Fun-Day - Sunday is my favorite day with my family. We attend church and Sunday school together at St. Andrew's followed by brunch at BL Bistro.
3. Costume Mania - My boys love to dress up. We have drawers full of their favorite characters. Right now, we are anxiously awaiting the arrival of a new Superman and Batman suit (available online at buycostumes.com).
4. Family 5K - The Race for the Cure in September is hands-down Amarillo's best kid-friendly event. We like to do the 5K Family Fun route with the boys in our Phil & Ted's tandem stroller (available at Et Cetera), but there is also a shorter 1 mile route. Plus, there is a super fun children's area at the finish line. For a calendar of all the great charity 5Ks in Amarillo, click here.
5. Discovery Fun - My boys LOVE the Discovery Center. All of the exhibits are educational and fun, but the current T-Rex exhibit is a MUST. If you have not been to see it yet, you are really missing out!
6. Out of town Adventures - Amarillo is the best, but we love to take the boys to new places to broaden their horizons. Some of our favorite trips include the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs, the Marriott Hill Country, and best of all, visiting my parents (Boo and Big Don) in Beaumont. Summertime on the Neches River or at Crystal Beach in southeast Texas is a must.
7. Camp-Ins - Friday nights, we rent tons of movies, pull out our sleeping bags, and cozy up for a Camp-In in Norm's room with all his stuffed animal buddies. It is a family favorite. Hot dogs and s'mores indoors, anyone?
8. Fall is for Football - We are a family of football fanatics. We love to take the boys to the local high school games, the regional college games, or if nothing else, we tune in to ESPN Game Day on lazy Saturday mornings at home.
9. Halloween on Hughes Street - The block where the boys' grandparents, SheShe and DeanDean, live is closed from cars, and is Halloween Headquarters! Everyone enjoys the trick-or-treaters - and it is a blast watching the kids enjoy the holiday. Multi-generational fun!
10. DeanDean's Date Night - The boys love it when Mom and Dad go out because they get to hang out with their grandfather, DeanDean. They go to class at Amarillo Developmental Gymnastics, and then they all head to dinner. Nothing is off limits - they go anywhere from the Amarillo Club to one of their favorites Cowboy Gelato.
Amy-Beth is married to Shawn, and they are parents to two adorable boys: Norm (4 years) and Conrad (19 months). Amy-Beth is a working mom who also gives much of her time to local philanthropic causes.
We are so impressed with her ability to balance her various responsibilities while still making her family her priority. Oh, and we'd also like to give a shout out to those awesome grandparents - those are some sweet names they have!
Your fun mom friends,
Susan and Farrar